Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Quake's Legacy

Earlier, I was looking at the Wikipedia article on the Quake Engine. I took a long, hard look at the "Quake Family Tree". You know what I realized? A huge chunk of 3D games on the market have some of the original Quake's source code in it! That also made me wonder if John Carmack and the id Software team knew that this was going to happen. They were always visionaries, but did they ever predict this? Does Carmack even know that he's still working with code he wrote 11 years ago? Even Doom 3, Quake 4, and their new titles are somewhat powered by Quake code. It's just kind of funny how you can write some code and a decade later, you might still be using the same code. Oh well, some more random thoughts from the mind of a hardcore code junkie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, about code been in use for a decade there's also the business software code that has been in use for some 25-30 years and still is being used after the year 2000 bug cleanup. Maybe the motto is "If it works still use it"

KG_Brad said...

As long as the code I write works in the future for my needs, I'll be using it. So I guess that's my motto.