Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Deathmatch, Part 3

After trying for months, I finally got my friend, Jake, to download ZDaemon, the multiplayer program for Doom.

It's fun having 1-on-1 deathmatches with him. It reminds me of the old-school days of Doom when you had to dial a friends phone number and wait for a little while before you could deathmatch. Then, DWANGO came in and changed all of that! Even then, I prefered the old method, it was easy and free. DWANGO was a monthly service that you had to pay $10 a month for. They finally shut DWANGO down in 1998 when the Internet came along and people found free ways to deathmatch. Actually, if you look into the source code for any Doom multiplayer program, you'll see that it still works mainly through telephone lines.

Anyway, he downloaded it and got completely destroyed in deathmatch. I showed him the ropes, how to do stuff, certain techniques, etc. He's getting better, but I think he needs more training before playing in the big leagues. When he's good enough, we might even start a Doom clan and play as teammates.

No comments: