Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Stupid Game Engine!

Here's something that's confusing me: If I have a working fully-3D engine for my "Macabre" project, why the hell can't a get a simple sidescrolling engine working for my platformer game "Project: Undead"?

Let me see what I've got:

Map Rendering - Check!
Sidescrolling - Check!
Keyboard Input - Check!
Collision Detection - Uh oh...

See, for whatever reason, I can't make the player stop when he/she reaches the end of the map. The sprite just keeps on going and going, just like that little freakin Energizer Bunny. Why? Who knows why! Is it a conspiracy that my computer set up just to made me angry? I'm beginning to think that it might be the case :)

And speaking of game engines, the new "id Tech 5", shown at yesterday's WWDC Conference by John Carmack, looks amazing! Good ol' id Software has done it again! Now let's see if they can make a kickass new IP with it. Over the past 17 years, they've only had four IPs: Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake.

UPDATE: Here's a link to the WWDC video: http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/d7625zs/m_99427722_650_ref.mov

No comments: